When providing childcare at First Universalist Church, we strive to welcome children with love and to support their parent/guardian’s faith journey by providing a safe environment for their children during church events. We want all children to feel secure and comfortable while in our care, and hope they will build friendships and experience joy during their time with us. We believe that providing church event childcare is mutually beneficial to parents, children, youth and adult childcare providers, and our larger community. At First Universalist, we value people of all ages and work hard to build an inclusive community that is responsive to the spiritual needs of people in all stages of life.
During both Sunday morning church worship services, First Universalist’s Children, Youth & Family Ministries offers childcare for babies and toddlers, and Religious Education classes for children and youth. To register children for Sunday morning classes, please click here.
The childcare we offer at other times is distinct from what happens on Sunday mornings. During church- sponsored events throughout the week, we provide families with childcare for children ages six months to twelve years, without specific programing.
This is a free service, for which we hire and train teen and adult childcare providers from within the congregation to care for and connect with our youngest congregants. When a child age six to twelve months is in childcare, at least one adult childcare provider will be present. We maintain a minimum ratio of 5 children: 1 childcare provider.
Our childcare policies are designed to ensure an atmosphere that is enjoyable for children and reassuring for parents/guardians, while also supporting the whole family in building a lifelong, sustainable connection with a Unitarian Universalist faith community. We work hard to create a positive church experience for your whole family, grounded in a mutually respectful, positive relationship with childcare staff and volunteers.
- Childcare requests must be made by submitting the Childcare Request Form online no later than seven (7) days in advance of the requested date. The link to the Childcare Request Form is here.
- Childcare is available for children ages 6 months (and able to sit up) through 12 years of age.
- The maximum length of childcare we provide for a child on any one day is three (3) hours. Childcare is not available after 9 p.m. Childcare is not available for school-age children Monday through Friday before 5 p.m.
- A parent/guardian or responsible adult must sign the child into and out of the childcare room.
- A parent/guardian must remain on church premises at all times while the child is in childcare.
- A parent/guardian must be available by cell phone while the child is in childcare. If necessary, please set yourphone to “vibrate” to monitor incoming calls. In the case of an emergency or when your support is needed, childcare providers must be able to contact you directly without leaving the childcare room.
- Sick children must be kept home. Please allow 24 hours after symptoms of contagious illness have passed (such as fever, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, cough, diarrhea or rash) before bringing your child to childcare.
- If your child has a special need and/or allergy, please include this information in your request for childcare, and communicate it to the childcare provider when dropping off your child for childcare.
- Children must be pre-registered for childcare. We do not allow walk-ins on the day of the event, except at a few events each year for which walk-in childcare is advertised and provided.
- Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the event. To cancel, please call the church office and leave your name, the date and time of your childcare reservation, and the reason for the cancellation.
- Occasionally, we are unable to find a childcare provider to fulfill a childcare request. Should this occur, we will email you at least 24 hours in advance of the event start time.
- Only childcare providers trained and hired by the church may provide childcare on church property.
Click here for the Childcare Request Form.