Already know you want to sign up?
Complete a subscriber interest form here.
Information Session Dates
The MN Community Solar Garden Subscriber Agreements are now being distributed to those having signed Reservation Agreements. Meetings to review the Agreement have been scheduled for:
Thursday, June 30 at 7 p.m. in the Cummins Room
Thursday, July 14 at 7 p.m. in the Chalice Room
Sunday July 17 at 10:30 a.m. in the Cummins Room
Subscription Agreement Review Tools available from Unity Church Unitarian St. Paul
Join the First Universalist Community Solar Garden in 2016
We recognize that climate change is a looming issue and know that electricity is the single largest source of CO2 emissions nationwide. Thankfully, now you can get electricity from renewable solar energy without installing solar panels on your roof. With no upfront costs, savings on your electricity bill, and no installation or maintenance, solar is now easy, and will reduce your electricity cost.
First Universalist Church is a member of the Unitarian Universalist Solar Coalition, a multi-church group of volunteers who have dedicated two years to interviewing and vetting solar developers. The UU Solar Coalition has chosen to partner with local solar developer Minnesota Community Solar, and after months of effort to fine-tune our subscription agreement, we are proud to bring you:
UU Community Solar Gardens
Why join our First Universalist Community Solar Garden (CSG)?
- Competitive subscriber terms, including savings on your electricity, low annual “escalator,” and early termination/transfer flexibility terms with lowest risk. No up-front investment required.
- Vetted by an expert UU solar coalition team representing five churches, who interviewed the most prominent CSG developers, compared program benefits, and negotiated terms favorable to our UU congregation members.
- Significant opportunity for First Universalist racial, economic, and environmental justice objectives through our Faithful Action Leadership Council. Rebates will be awarded to the Church at the time the garden goes into operation based on the number of signups for our garden.
Confused or tempted by other solar garden offerings?
These are the key items you will want to ask about when evaluating a pay-as-you-go solar subscription:
- First year rate per kWh. This is typically a low starting rate.
- Annual “Escalator.” CSGs typically increase their subscription cost by a fixed percentage each year.
- Transfer and early termination. Ask for these terms in writing.
If you have questions about materials you receive from other offerings, feel free to contact the UU team at FirstUnivCSG@gmail.com. We can reply with a comparison. Our team has reviewed the prominent CSG offerings and we are confident that we have selected a solid program for UU members and friends.
How does a Community Solar Garden work?
Residents subscribe to a solar garden that is connected to the Xcel grid, then get reimbursed for their solar panels’ production as a credit on their Xcel bill.
In addition to saving money, the average household that subscribes 100% of their usage to a Community Solar Garden will prevent 172 metric tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere over the course of their subscription. That’s the equivalent of about 400,000 miles driven or 4,400 trees planted.
The First Universalist solar team has developed an online version of our info-session presentation, for those who were not able to attend our in-person meetings earlier this year. We hope you will find these videos helpful to understand our Community Solar Garden program and its importance.
View the full presentation via this YouTube Playlist, or click on a specific section from the following list:
Section 1: Intro & Overview (2 minutes)
Section 2: Climate and Environmental Justice (6 minutes)
Section 3: CSG Basics (8 minutes)
Section 4: Developer Selection (7 minutes)
Section 5: MNCS Program Features (7 minutes)
Section 6: Reservation & Next Steps (7 minutes)
Section 7: Campaign Bigger Picture (2 minutes)
Space may be limited. Reserve your place now with no obligation. Get started by visiting www.mncommunitysolar.com/firstuniversalist. Priority reservations are initially being offered to First Universalist Church members and friends.
- Submit a SUBSCRIBER INTEREST FORM at www.mncommunitysolar.com/firstuniversalist. You will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to submit your Xcel Usage History, so they can calculate your eligible subscription size.
- Email your USAGE HISTORY to Minnesota Community Solar (reply to their email). They will reply with a benefits Snapshot and Reservation Agreement.
- Sign RESERVATION AGREEMENT to reserve your spot. This gives you time to review the Subscription Agreement and ask any questions. You are not committed to the garden until you sign a Subscription Agreement.
- Sign SUBSCRIPTION AGREEMENT. This makes you an official Solar Garden subscriber (pending credit check, 680+ needed).
When the Community Solar Garden goes live, begin paying for your subscription, receiving Xcel bill credits, enjoying your savings and celebrating your clean solar energy.
Questions? Contact a member of the First Universalist solar team at FirstUnivCSG@gmail.com.