Environmental Justice Working Groups:
These groups support environmental justice in our church and community through a faith-based, racial justice lens that aligns with our UU principles.
- Our Building, Our Institution: To improve our building’s energy footprint by promoting action on the church’s recent energy audit. To educate the congregation on energy efficiency improvements they can make in their own lives.
- Advocacy & Legislative Response: To contact State and Federal legislators via postcards, calls and lobbying to encourage support of environmental legislation. Currently supporting “Clean Energy and Job Campaign”.
- Linking Racial & Environmental Justice: In collaboration with Heather Hackman, to develop an integrated strategy, to share this strategy through an Earth Day sermon, and to implement this strategy through workshops.
- Community Solar Gardens: To collaborate with MUUSJA Community Solar Garden Project to develop a joint UU Community Solar Garden for Twin City area UU churches. To educate and promote Community Solar Garden subscriptions for church and congregants.
- Climate Change & Environmental Education: To provide intergenerational education on the long-term impact from climate change, and to identify tangible ways church congregants can address this challenge.
- Eco-Spirituality: Understands that humans are inextricably related to all other life forms within an interrelated, interconnected web, and this can lead to spiritually motivated engagement on environmental issues.
- Ethical Eating: To encourage meatless meals, to promote a Meatless Monday campaign, and to encourage exploration of the web for meatless recipes.
How to be involved:
- Our Building, Our Institution: For more information, contact Joy Throm at email@example.com
- Advocacy & Legislative Response: For more information, contact Cecelia Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Solar Gardens:
- Climate Change Education: For more information, contact Stan Sattinger at email@example.com or Kim Stelson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eco-Spirituality: For more information, contact Rev. Jen Crow at email@example.com
- Ethical Eating: For more information, contact Kathy Steinhauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ray Goebel at email@example.com